UNIT 5: BACK TO THE FUTURE (TIME UNSPECIFIED)
Part 1: Hip-Hoperation Earth
Students will examine the role the environment has played in Hip-Hop from the weather to the emergence of “Green Hip-Hop”
- Insert Earth Amplified Videos
- Listen to Hip HopE by Professor A.L.I.
Part 2: “Reincarnature” and the Paradigm Shifts
Can Hip-Hop really die? What is the new paradigm shift occurring in this culture?
- Read “Lesson Before Dying” in Asante
- Listen to “Hip Hop Is Dead” by Nas
- Watch/Listen to “Hip Hop Aint Dead” Lowkey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKOrHAUULrI
- Listen to “Reincarnature” by Professor A.L.I.
- What do you think—is Hip Hop dead?
- Listen to “Paradigm Shifts” by Professor A.L.I.
Part 3: The Mic Shall Inherit The Earth
Students will ask and answer the question of how in the era of social media and the web, and independent artistry, the global M.C. has become anonymous and the voice of Hip-Hop has morphed into a voice for counter culture. Case studies will include Africa, the Zapatista Movement and the Middle East. Students will read excerpts from Ishmael Beah’s Memoir and essays by Mumia Abu-Jamal. Students will also explore the role Hip-Hop is playing in the Free Leonard Peltier movement.
- Read “Universal Language” in Asante
- Look at following videos: Dalit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKDC91Bd1YU
- Read Ishmael Beah’s Memori Excerpt (INSERT)
- Read Mumia’s Essay on Hip-Hop (INSERT)
- Read Assata Article on Hip Hop (INSERT)
- Watch DJFREEPELTIER (INSERT)
- ACTIVITY: Students write an 8 bar verse that captures your voice and how you plan on inheriting this earth and compare yourself to one of the icons we have covered. You will get a chance to record this on the Professor A.L.I. and Blitz the Ambassador track at the studio
- Final Project
- Respond to one of the previous songs form the XFactor album (SPECIFY TRACKS); you will have a chance to record a 16 bar verse.
- 16 Bars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uClckZKd2bQ
- 40 Years of Hip-Hop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpSdgORU5A
- Hip Hop and Crack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zswrGZP7jUY
- Founding Fathers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xR-mc-Ikw
- History of Hip Hop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyBwzCWcdVI
- Hip Hop early years 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhrSlOa2bsA
- Hip Hop early years 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qjs771lWnE
- Iggy Azalea & TI Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY0tm2N_bxk